Yes, Peaches are Paleo!
That Juicy Fruit Called Peach…
Peaches are juicy, summer fruits that are native to China and South Asia. It is the same specie as nectarines but the difference is that peaches are fuzzy with whitish centers while nectarines have smooth skin with orange centers. Peaches look like apple in shape and are naturally sweet. They can have a yellow or white flesh color.
Peaches, like apples provide a great amount of essential nutrients with very low sugar. They are good sources of Vitamins A, B6, C and E, fiber, iron, riboflavin, niacin, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
Peaches are available in the market all year round but are dominant during the summer season. They can be eaten raw, with or without the skin and can be used for pies, tarts, desserts and addition to fruit salads.
Benefits of Peaches
The health benefits of peaches are merely known and here are some of them:
- Peaches are a great source of vitamin A and beta carotene which is responsible for good eye health.
- The vitamin C from peach is good for skin care preventing dark circles and wrinkles and can help developing resistance against infectious agents and healthy immune system.
- Peaches are high in potassium and fiber that helps in cleansing toxins in the kidney and can reduce kidney related diseases and lowers the risk of ulcer. Potassium helps in metabolic processes and maintains electrolyte balance and regulation of muscular tissues. Dietary fiber in peaches absorbs water and helps prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, gastritis and irregular bowel movement.
- Like apples, peaches are surprisingly fulfilling. Regular intake of peach can help in maintaining or losing weight.
- Antioxidants lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-cryotaxanthin are present in peaches too. These play a role in protecting the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of certain diseases such as cancer and heart illnesses.
- Magnesium and vitamins B-6 in peaches has favorable effects in balancing the nervous system. They aid in preventing stress and anxiety.
- The phenolic compounds in the peel and pulp of peaches help in maintaining lower levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
Click here to see what other fruits are Paleo.
What Experts Say About Peaches.. Is It Paleo?
“With similar nutritional value as apples and pears, these stone fruits are a smart way to get a good dose of vitamin C and fiber.” – Mark Sisson http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/#ixzz3bJwPocan
All you ever wanted to know about Peaches and Paleo
The Paleo Diet. Paleo Peach Crumble
The Paleo Diet. Fruits and Sugars
Mark’s Daily Apple. The Best Low-Carb Fruits (and the Worst)
Original Eating. Peach.
Livestrong.com. What Are the Health Benefits of Peaches?
Did we miss anything?
Comment below and let us know what you think. Do you agree with our conclusion?
photo credit: Fresh Peaches