Yes, Strawberries are Paleo!
All You Need to Know About Strawberries!
Strawberries are wildly cultivated fruits which are a favorite because of its fragrant aroma, bright red color, juicy texture and sweetness. They have heart-shaped characteristics, red flesh and seeded coat with a small leafy green cap. They are normally consumed in large quantities, usually fresh or addition to other foods such as fruit shakes, desserts, pies and ice creams.
Strawberry is one of the most popular berries in the world. It was first bred in Brittany, France during the 18th century. It has been used to treat depressive illnesses. In addition to that, it has been used throughout history in a medicinal context to help with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Strawberry is a Paleo food that is very low in sugar and calories. It is a great source of folate, potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C and manganese. It is also packed with antioxidant phenols and phytonutients including anthocyanins and flavanols.
Health Benefits of Strawberries
Being available all year round, strawberries are very common in the market that they can be easily added into one’s diet and enjoy the benefits that come with it.
- Strawberries are rich in polyphenols that have a significant impact on gut bacteria balance that can promote good gut health and improve inflammatory bowel problems like ulcer and Crohn’s disease
- The dietary fiber content of strawberries can help regulate blood sugar levels by slowing digestion and can lower the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Potassium in strawberries can help regulate blood pressure
- Strawberries have powerful heart health boosters namely ellagic acid and flavanoids which are phytonutrients that also lowers cholesterol in the blood
- Many of the phytonutrients present in strawberires function as antioxidants and anti-inflammation. Strawberries are rich in anthocyanidin, which is responsible for its brilliant red color and are thought to protect against inflammation, arthritis, cancer and heart diseases
- Because strawberries have loads of vitamin C, it can help in boosting the immune system preventing or reducing the risk of inflammatory diseases and promoting good eye and skin health
- There are studies showing that strawberries have an effect on cognitive and motor function of the brain
Click here to see what other fruits are Paleo.
What Experts Say About Strawberries Is It Paleo?
“Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, huckleberries, salmon berries, gooseberries – they’re all packed with antioxidants and vitamins.” – Mark Sisson http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/#ixzz3bspQyDOj
All you ever wanted to know about Strawberries and Paleo
Ultimate Paleo Guide. Are Berries Paleo?
Chris Kresser. Do Polyphenols Improve Your Gut Bacteria?
Paleo Grubs. Foods You Can Eat on the Paleo Diet
Paleo Diet and Living. The Food
The Paleo Diet. Fruits and Sugars
Mark’s Daily Apple. Dear Mark: Best Fruit Choices
Mark’s Daily Apple. The Best Low-Carb Fruits (and the Worst)
The World’s Healthiest Foods. Strawberries
Good Food. The health benefits of… strawberries
Original Eating. Strawberries
Other Names for Strawberry
Did we miss anything?
Comment below and let us know what you think. Do you agree with our conclusion?
photo credit: Strawberries in a basket