Yes, Fish sticks are Paleo! (but only if you make them yourself! The stuff in the store is NOT paleo)
What Makes Up Paleo Fish Sticks?
Fish sticks are definitely one of the tasty recipes that can be added in a Paleo diet. Kids and even adults can enjoy fish sticks. It is very easy to make provided that the ingredients are Paleo approved. It can be served with Paleo kechup or Paleo tartar sauce.
Fish sticks that can be found in the grocery stores are most of the time processed. So it is much better to create your own to make sure that there are no added chemicals or additives in your food.
Fish is obviously the main ingredient of fish sticks. Fish is known to be one of the best sources of Omega 3 which is proven to have amazing health effects such as a healthy heart. There are a lot of fishes that can provide outstanding nutrients and other health benefits and can be used to make yummy fish sticks. It can be salmon, Pollack, codfish and abalone. Just make sure that the fish is fresh and not frozen.
For the fish sticks’ batter, avoid gluten products such as all purpose flour. There are other alternatives that can be used for yummy and healthy fish sticks. You can use blanched almond flour, arrowroot and tapioca flour.
Cooking Oil/ Fat
Last and definitely one of the most important ingredients of fish sticks is the oil or fat to be used. Always consider Paleo approved cooking oils such as olive oil, coconut oil or fats like lard or tallow or even ghee. These will ensure that you are getting the most of your food.
Simple Steps in Making Your Paleo Fish Sticks
There are a number of recipes that you can find online for Paleo fish sticks. And to sum it up, below is a list of steps that you can follow in making your own.
- Find the right ingredients for your fish sticks. Make sure to use only Paleo-approved ingredients
- Use fresh fish, rinse and pat dry using paper towels. Cut the fish into sticks of your desired size.
- Create your batter using eggs. In a separate dish, use Paleo-approved flour. You can also incorporate sea salt, black pepper or even paprika to the flour for added taste.
- Dip the fish stick into the batter, removing the excess and then put it in the flour mixture.
- Use healthy oils or fats if you wish to fry your fish sticks. Make sure to place it just in medium heat. Once the fat or oil heats ups, then you start adding the fish sticks into the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- You can serve your fish sticks with your chosen dip like Paleo ketchup or tartar sauce.
All you ever wanted to know about Fish sticks and Paleo
Ultimate Paleo Guide. Easy Paleo Fried Fish Sticks
Paleo Cupboard. Paleo Fish Sticks
Cross Fit Fort Wayne. Paleo Fish Sticks, Really?
Original Eating. Crispy Fish Sticks
Did we miss anything?
Comment below and let us know what you think. Do you agree with our conclusion?
photo credit: asia_and_sticks2