Yes, raspberries are Paleo!
Description of Raspberry
Raspberry is an edible fruit that belongs to the family of rose plants like apples, peaches, blackberries, strawberries, cherries and pears. It is referred to as an aggregate fruit which is composed of many individual fruits, each of them having their own seeds. The skin of raspberry is smooth and fragile and its core is hollow.
Raspberries are often consumed raw. They can be incorporated to other dishes like pies, tarts and other desserts. It can also be made as juice or tea.
There are three basic groups of raspberries and that includes red raspberries, black raspberries and purple raspberries. Red raspberries are pinkish red in color and are the most common of all raspberries. Black raspberries are definitely dark or black in color and are sometimes referred to as thimbleberry. Purple raspberries on the other hand are a natural combination or hybrid of black and red raspberries.
Raspberry like all other berries is Paleo for one reason, it is a fruit. Berries are thought to be one of the healthiest fruits around including raspberries. They are considered super foods as they offer significant amounts of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Raspberries are excellent source of vitamins A, B, C and E, iron, copper, manganese, potassium and folate. They are relatively low in sugar and calories.
Health Benefits of Raspberry
There is a huge list of benefits that raspberry comes with. Below are some of the evident health benefits of raspberry:
- Raspberry is high in antioxidants and phytonutrients which can protect the body from inflammation and lower the risk of chronic diseases including obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cancer and atherosclerosis. The ellagic acid in raspberry acts as an inflammatory agent
- Raspberry is an excellent source of vitamin C. Having said that, consumption of foods rich in vitamin C can help boost immune system and provides resistance from infectious diseases and free radicals
- Vitamins A and E are also present in raspberries which can help fight aging and promote skin health
- Raspberry has an anti-coagulant property that can make the blood thinner and regulates blood pressure and promotes cardiovascular health. Potassium in raspberries can also help in controlling and maintain heart rate and blood pressure.
- The significant amount of dietary fiber in raspberries aids in slowing down digestion. Raspberry ketones are found to be effective in burning fat stored in the abdominal region thus, promoting weight loss
- Raspberry is rich in ellagic acid antioxidant that can help in vision health by protecting the retina from oxidative stress, hence, preventing macular degeneration
- Vitamins B and folates in raspberries can help fight depression
- In women, raspberries and its leaves are helpful in decreasing menstrual flow and cramps. They also increase the flow of milk in lactating mothers
Click here to see what other fruits are Paleo.
What Experts Say About Raspberries.. Is It Paleo?
“Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, huckleberries, salmon berries, gooseberries – they’re all packed with antioxidants and vitamins.” – Mark Sisson
All you ever wanted to know about Raspberries and Paleo
Ultimate Paleo Guide. Are Berries Paleo?
Paleo Diet and Living. The Food
Paleo Grubs. Foods You Can Eat on the Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet. Fruits and Sugars
The World’s Healthiest Foods. Raspberries
Mark’s Daily Apple. Dear Mark: Best Fruit Choices
Mark’s Daily Apple. The Best Low-Carb Fruits (and the Worst)
Did we miss anything?
Comment below and let us know what you think. Do you agree with our conclusion?
photo credit: Fresh raspberries